Focus of support was in scaling local solutions in the sectors of local government, forestry, agriculture and tourism. In total ALCDF implemented and supported 141 local initiatives (more information on the projects supported is given at www.alcdf.org ) and summarized info below:
Support in Forestry / Environment sector:
- Strengthen the organizational and institutional capacities of Associations and Federations of Communal Forestry: at commune level, private forestry users association, medicinal plants associations and regional and national level federations. The expertise focused on expanding and strengthening memberships, facilitating problem analysis and suggesting strategic solutions, strengthening relations between local government and other key actors, increasing technical-professional and organizational capacities, knowledge of the law and consolidating lobbying and advocacy power;
- Increase and promote innovative efforts in the forestry by implementing straightforward activities for study and research on Sustainable Environment Development, studies on carbon sequestration, bio-energy, biomass as well we new techniques on fighting several forest diseases.
- Develop studies and projects to increase the nut crops production by expanding the nut crop areas, natural nuts effective use, improving product quality, raising farmers capacities in cultivation, harvesting and trading, preparation of business plans in order to benefit from the Ministry’s subsidiary scheme etc.
- Increase income through an effective exploitation of non timber forestry products such as medicinal plants, forestry fruits etc, by developing rural actors’ capacities in harvesting, drying, storage, processing, trading, exporting etc. The expertise consisted on increasing awareness and providing technical knowledge, technology and new practices, getting to know the market, development of business plans and manuals, sector development plans, chain value analysis and development, round tables, demonstrations etc;
- Increase opportunities for forestry products market access by offering full marketing studies, market information, improving product’s quality and volume, conditions and acknowledging domestic market, establishing terrain for forestry market, information and exports access of forestry and bio products;
Support in Good Governance:
- Capacity building for Local Government’s Administration on Human Resource Development by providing trainings, facilitative processes especially related to participatory budgeting, human resources management and leadership, trainings and practices for strategic development planning;
- Development of Local Development Plans and Sector Planning by providing required technical and professional services for the development of plans for local development in tourism, agriculture, forestry, viticulture, etero-oil plants, urban area planning and health;
- Professional expertise on Regional Development Plans based on the standards of the Albanian government and the European Commission for regional development strategy, identification of new innovative businesses, natural resources management, regional park management, forestry administration, water management, inter-communal projects.
- Improve the quality of community basic services by providing required tailored expertise for improving drinkable water supply and administration, planning and developing parks, improving health care, disaster management and civil emergencies;
- Improve capacities in acquisition of EC and Albanian Government Funds by providing required professional skills for strengthened local Government capacities to mobilize funds, in drafting studies and projects for capturing ministry grants, regional investment funds and the European Commission’s Instruments for Pre-Accession (IPA) funding.
Support Civil Society Organization:
- Increase Production, Productivity and Market Access by providing expertise to improve production and market access in the agricultural, forestry and tourism sectors. Notable were market studies for products such as olive oil, potatoes and honey. Services for the tourism sector focused on family home stays, traditional foods, and traditional products, and for the forest sector studies on and technical services for NTFPs, medicinal plants’ collecting, storage and trade. Improving domestic and foreign market access focused on expertise for quality standards, packaging and labeling, generating market knowledge, and market information.
- Social inclusion for Disadvantaged Groups, by providing expertise for social inclusion of women and disadvantaged groups relating to employment, health and recreation. Notable projects were strengthening women’s participation in decision-making processes in organizations and the community, and designing of a recreation facility for physically disabled people.
- Increasing Capacities of Civil Society Organizations, by providing expertise for trainings, facilitation processes new techniques and methodologies, and institutional strengthening and organizational development processes.
- Sustainable Development, by providing expertise for sustainable environment development such as biodiversity conservation, forest land reform, sustainable forestry, and eco-tourism development.
- Innovative Techniques and Products: by providing expertise for new innovation such as study on the potential of biomass/bioenergy, fighting nut tree diseases and carbon sequestration studies.
Support in Agriculture Development:
- Expertise in supporting sector policy and analysis of crop and product market potential by offering detailed situational analysis and recommendations for the future development of various sub-sector and crops such as viticulture, fruit horticulture, beekeeping, olives, potatoes and livestock. Analysis was aligned to local development interests and market realities;
- Increase agricultural productivity by increasing crop and agro-processing productivity for apples, apple juice, wine, honey, olives, olive oil, raki, milk and milk processing. Expertise was acquired for business planning, improving varieties or breed productivity, increasing density of planted areas, organic production methods and improving techniques and technology;
- Improve agricultural infrastructure and agricultural land structure by providing technical expertise in development of studies and technical projects on harvesting and storage, agricultural markets, land protection and irrigation, and feasibility studies for Agriculture Centers;
- Expand market access for agricultural products at national and international markets by conducting full marketing studies, synthesis of market information, defining quality and volume for market access, conditions and terms for export;
- Implement standards and certification for national and international markets by providing information and expertise on certification of origin, BIO and ISO certification, and issues of market credibility and producer’s market image.